Socktober questionnaire time

G'day all!

Gosh, I forgot to look at Socktoberfest for a whole week! My bad!

So I'd best answer the questions, though most of these I've already answered recently in a bloopy* fashion (must've known they were coming up).

(*Bloopy - bloop is luck. For those people who ever read Judge Dredd, Judge Fish (literally a fish in a bowl) would say "bloop" and the chief Judge (Cal) would decide what "bloop" meant. Hence bloopy - lucky, or bad luck on occasion)

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I taught myself. Typical me. Not good at this lesson stuff - I hate people staring at me, watching what I do cos I get extremely self-concious.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
The lurid socks I talked about recently. Poor things. They turned into bedsocks very quickly.


What would you have done differently?

I would have used smaller needles.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
My favourite is a local yarn, Patonyle. I rather like one of the dye it yourself yarns used in the USA and would like more dye your own sock yarn from KnitPicks. Alas, they don't send yarn to Australia. People have very helpfully said "Oh so and so has great yarn. You should get some from them!" Alas I am unemployed and buying one skein of sock yarn from the USA at USD20 plus USD9 shipping ends up costing me about $50 in Aussie currency and that is a LOT of money currently.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
Crochet socks? Ick! I use magic loop. I've blogged about that in the last six weeks or so too.


Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

I prefer short row though if the pattern wants a heel flap, I do it. Except I do toe up socks so the heel flap is backwards. This means things get interesting as I reverse engineer the pattern :-)

How many pairs have you made?
Hmm, how many does my side bar say? I think I've made at least one more pair since then and have two more socks on the needles. Or is it three more socks. Hmmm.... I think I have too many single socks. Actually I don't know where all the Knitty socks ended up - I found one the other day, the rest must be somewhere....

What have I been up to recently? Jobhunting (I have two to go for now) and dyeing yarn and going to Gardening Australia Live, and seeing Peter Cundall and Josh Byrne talk. Plus the last episode of Dr Who, season two, aired last night and we had a most amusing time - dunny plungers being used to extract information, "we are four" etc. Hopefully that is spoiler proofed enough for those who have not seen it yet.

anon!

Comments

  1. Anonymous5:13 am

    Your scarf is almost complete, my friend,
    all soft and warm and blue...
    I'll soon be sending it across the sea
    to make its way to you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments but if I don't have your email address, I may not be able to reply 8-\

Popular posts from this blog

Your monthly blog post

Competition time!

Not a good post to read